Friday 14 February 2014

it's never easy

you know what, I suddenly realize that the best decisions that I've made are risk-taking ones.
Somehow, whenever I take that leap of faith and keep my mind open it always seems to pay off.
Of course, I'm constantly battling my insecurities and fears, but through it all I would always look back and feel so thankful that I chased my dreams and followed my own voice instead of following others opinions like how the earth goes round the sun and clouds are always in the sky.

Was looking at past years' photos and chanced upon the photos of the overseas service learning trip to Cambodia. I went there with a little dread, thinking that I would never be able to survive the rural areas in a foreign town. Everyone started drilling thoughts and opinions in my head, telling me how dangerous it would be and how I had to be extremely careful.
But when I got there, I was just overwhelmed by how beautiful Cambodia was. Especially Siam Reap, where we stayed.


One night, we were walking back from the place where we had our dinner and suddenly someone commented: "Woah look at the sky, it's absolutely beautiful."
We all glanced up and saw the most beautiful night sky I have ever seen. A myriad of stars twinkled at us and they looked like a  beautiful portrait of nature's wonders. I tried extremely hard to capture that exact moment, but to no avail. I guess that was a fleeting moment of beauty, as the nights after that just couldn't compare to that night.


We also caught our first sunrise together, and no sunrises in Singapore would ever compare to the peacefulness and pure beauty of the one sunrise in that little village of Siam Reap.

No high-rise buildings in the foreground, no noisy vehicle engine sounds in the background, with the only noises being our occasional comments about how we would miss such a sight in Singapore, and the initial stirrings of the villagers. That would be something I would never want to forget.
Finally, what made the trip unforgettable would be the people. The villagers were absolutely amazing, giving us so much love and warmth as if they had known us since forever. That really touched my heart, it really did.


The children that we taught moved my heart with their innocence and pure hearts. Their gazes showed one thing that many Singaporeans have lost: passion, faith and pure happiness. I really wish that time could travel back in time and I can go back to being a child and living a carefree life.

They taught me so much more than what I merely taught them.

little actions such as trying to write my name made my day, you have no idea how difficult it was for them.

A random metal ring from a student really lit up my heart and left a silly grin on my face for the whole day.

Just 1.5 weeks with them and I already felt so much love. Children are amazing.
Now looking back in time, I would give anything to go back to Cambodia again.


to stand at the back of a pickup-truck, feeling wind in my hair and not having a care in this world.

to really celebrate christmas by appreciating every single thing and person that I have.


to open my eyes, travel the world and see beauty that no one ever stopped to notice.

So, be brave. Do what you love, do what you believe in, even when the whole world may try and stop you. Cause life's a game that no one gets out of alive, why not live the life that you wanted to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment